Tuesday 30 October 2007

Going to Pot


Back from college this evening so thought I'd post a few comments about how my ceramics work is progressing.


These past few months I've been developing some coil pots, which is not method I've really used for many years. Production has much slower than say throwing on the wheel. With coiling you can only added so many layers of coiled clay at a time before you have to consolidate and allow the clay to dry a little, otherwise it might collapse. Also at present I can only work at college, so I get just over two hours a week to work. What it is to have your own facilities and come and go as you please!


So why use coiling, some might ask? Well it's a valid and traditional production method, a good skill to master. You don't need fancy equipment- in fact some of the best coil pots I have seen were produced using the husk from a corn cob! For me it is allowing me time to think more about the forms I wish to develop. In so doing I am moving away from regular, functional forms towards purely ornamental work.


The image above is my current work-in-progress which I have just sent for Bisque firing. I also have loaded in the Glaze kiln another piece, which should be back next Tuesday all being well. Maybe I'll post a pic of it if I'm happy with the outcome.



30 Oct 07 W says: oh how cool i love it is that one from coils hun?

No comments: