Saturday 20 June 2009

I B4 E

An influential UK Government body has this weekend recommended primary schools no longer teach the "I before E, except after C" rule. Apparently there are not enough English words that actually follow this and that it is just plain confusing to kids.

Are you kidding? How many thousands have grown up learning this rule and as a result have been able to construct good, properly spelt sentences? I thought good communication was important to be able to get on in this world. Isn't it bad enough that most modern kids seem to be unable to communicate in anything other than text speak. Or shld that b txt spk?

I will be doing all I can to ensure Little Lad receives a good education and a firm understanding of how our fine language works.

1 comment:

wunderlust said...

Too true!

The "influential UK Govt body" obviously failed at English Grammar while at school, if that's the kind of garbage they come out with!

I for one ALWAYS run through that little rule whenever I come across a word which needs it, and there are far more than most people realise!

:-)

x