Sunday 17 July 2011

A Plot Is Hatched...

I know I have been a bit quiet of late, here's something I have been up to...

Some will know I have an attic room in this house. It's quite nice and roomy although at the moment it is only used as a store, it could easily be used as a bedroom. During summer it's really handy to open wide the window up there and allow the heat from the house a means of escape through the stairway. There's no door and needless to say that last winter, even with the window fully closed, I felt too much heat was escaping by the same route, therefore contributing to rather excessive fuel costs.

This coming 12 months fuel costs are set to rise by between 15 and 20% depending on supplier and the only way to realistically curb this is to use less. Last winter was pretty harsh admittedly but I'm preparing for the worst, particularly when you consider I don't have an income.

To this end I have constructed a light weight cover or hatch to the attic room which can be easily lifted into place in time for the cold. It's not quite completed yet: I'm yet to stain it to match the existing woodwork before adding the insulation.

Here's a couple of work-in-progress images, what do you think?



From below.













There are pictures of me as a baby sat on this carpet.
















Anyway, I'm just doing my bit to save energy.

No comments: