Wednesday 16 March 2011

Wonky

Last week at our monthly West Forest Potters Guild meeting, guest Louisa Taylor demonstrated how to throw a pot using an angled bat. That is in effect puts the Potter's Wheel is at an angle of say 10 or 20 degrees, rather than being the usual horizontal.

Once the clay is centred on the bat, the idea is you can then throw a pot in the normal manner. The outcome of this is a) you learn not to rest your hands on the wheel head and b) the finished pot is beautifully thrown but leans at a pleasing angle.

Here's a couple of images of Louisa demonstrating the technique:



A wad of clay (seen on the left) is used to prop one side of the bat, while Louisa throws a cylinder.

















Louisa proudly displays her leaning pot.
















And here's my own humble attempt from last night:





My leaning open bowl.












I threw two pots last night which are now drying and hopefully next week I can work on the bases before sending for bisque firing. It's pretty hard work I can tell you: the surface of the bat moves up and down at a disconcerting speed, while the wheel is rotating.

As always, once they are completed I will post some images here and also on Webshots. These will likely be the last pots I work on for some time- the college term ends in a couple of weeks and due to lack of employment (therefore lack of funds) I'm taking a break. Fingers crossed I get to finish on high note.

No comments: