Wednesday 9 March 2011

Blood

Three unconnected items to mention today:

I've just uploaded a couple of images of my latest work: it's a stoneware bowl with earthenware glazes applied. Crimson Blood and Turquoise so you know.  







Earthenware glazes as a rule give a different range of colours so it can be fun to experiment, provided a basic principle is followed. Stoneware glaze needs to be fired at around 1260 degrees Celsius (about 2300 degrees Fahrenheit) and earthenware clay can only be fired to about 1080 degrees C (1976 degrees F) without it starting to break down. This means you can put earthenware glaze on a stoneware pot and fire at the lower temperature without any problems but you can't fire an earthenware pot with stoneware glaze at the higher level. 

Unfortunately the Crimson is a tad thin in places but overall I'm rather satisfied. Please take a look here and I've been asked to point out that the latest work is to found at the back of the folder.



I recently purchased (on a whim) a toasted sandwich maker. Kind of takes me back to my childhood: I absolutely loved toasted sandwiches during my formative years and I suspect I might have lived on the things if I'd been permitted LOL. Anyway this one cost the grand sum of £5.47 (about $8.75). How on Earth do we make it for that price, let alone no doubt ship it half way round the planet and still sell it for a profit?  

Exploitation of the Third World work force? Discuss.















08 March 2011 Ipswich 1 - 3 Reading

The Royals move to 8th in the league on 54 points.

I was somewhat shocked (and saddened) to hear the news yesterday that Reading defender Chris Armstrong has been forced to retire from professional football at the age of just 28 because he has Multiple Sclerosis. Apparently he was diagnosed in 2009 and has continued to be able to play for the first team until now but feels it is right to stand down.

This makes me feel very grateful for my relative good health.

2 comments:

TeresaB said...

Mmmm, toasted sandwiches, grilled cheese...now you're talking.

Love the red and turquoise on the bowl.

Ceramix said...

Mmmmm in deed.

Grilled cheese and ham is good, as is frying an egg inside a toasted sandwich.