Monday 17 June 2024

Let's Pretend

There's no easy way to put this, sorry but I enjoy eating meat.

Having said that I do sometimes cook a chilli or similar using plant based mince. Even out at restaurants sometimes I will pick the vegan or vegetarian option; it doesn't hurt to try different things from time to time. Certainly the "experts" have for a number of years been encouraging the public to reduce intake of red meat and processed meat. 

Today I thought I'd try vegan "bacon" and see if it is any good. These came from a company called Richmond, one of the largest suppliers of (real) sausages and bacon. The product does to be honest look manufactured, almost like pretend bacon found in a kids kitchen play set and did feel a little rubbery when in it's uncooked form. The instructions said to fry gently for about 4 minutes in a little oil. Easy. 

Placed between two slices of buttered bread and with a good dollop of Ketchup, you might at a push think you had a real bacon sarnie. The taste was in fact quite similar to streaky bacon and I imagine if you were genuinely trying to live a vegetarian or vegan life you'd be quite satisfied.

I may well try vegan bacon again. Quite possibly I will dabble with other plant based alternatives, such as burgers. However for the moment I'm afraid I won't be fully giving up nice tasty smoked streaky bacon from the butcher.



No comments: