Thursday 16 May 2013

Star Trekkin'

Went to see the new Trek film today, subtitled Into Darkness.

The reports in the news had suggested the cinema would be full to capacity with queues out of the cinema. I think 6 people for a showing is a slightly different story but I guess that's what you get on a late Thursday afternoon. Apparently the early evening is the time to miss if you hate crowds.




















There were some interesting takes on some well established Trek themes, none of which I intend to spoil here. That would be just mean. The set piece action was very well executed and to be honest I don't think I missed anything by avoiding the 3D showing and instead saving a few quid by going to the 2D version. I've read this was the format the film was shot in and the 3D effects added later. There was quite enough action for me and even a couple of jump from your seat moments.

Story wise, it held together nicely, flowed well and just as I thought the film was wrapping up it gained another lease of life. Nice twist. All the main characters seemed to have enough to do, I don't think anyone can claim their personal favourite was short changed, and as a second film (with the younger crew) we didn't have to spend too much time establishing old familiar characters but with new faces. JJ Abrams has indeed pulled it off and avoided the curse of the odd numbered Trek films by producing two absolute crackers in a row.

Can we have another one please?

Oh and happy 800th blog post to me LOL.

No comments: