Sunday 14 September 2008

Too Many Pies

I'm told there's something we can learn from every experience, whether it is good or bad.

One thing I did learn from Mum's funeral was that trying on my suit for the big day, I've clearly been eating too many pies. I'm not too over weight by any stretch, just carrying some spare that made doing up the jacket more like Mission Impossible.

So let's be honest about this: I enjoy my food and on top of that I eat the wrong things when I'm sad. The same is also true when I'm happy. A few years back it wouldn't have made a jot of difference, I could stuff my face with no consequence plus I was playing quite a bit of sport and walking a lot.

So I've come to the conclusion I need to change my habits, nothing Earth shattering you understand. I don't believe extreme changes in diet or fitness regime are necessarily healthy or likely to succeed in the long run. For me it has to be a subtle, modest change that I can actually achieve.

So today I took myself round the university lake for a bracing walk- it looks kind of good doesn't it? When I got back to celebrate I rewarded myself with a few beers, so not such a good start after all. Perhaps I should say today has been one of the few decent weather days we've had in a good while and that'll excuse the beers.

Anyway here's the plan, if you can call it one. Shed a few pounds by doing more exercise and trying to eat better meals, less junk.

Oh and before I finish: yes I have checked my weight on the scales but it's on a need to know basis. I could tell you but I'd have to kill you.

No comments: