Wednesday 11 June 2008

Patience Is A Virtue. Honest

Should it really take over 5 hours to download and install Windows XP SP2? I mean it can't be that big, can it?

And yes before you ask that was via a Broadband connection.

If it had gone on much longer I'm sure I would have hit the CANCEL button or kicked the pc. Thankfully I was saved from having to explain away some unsightly damage and all seems to be working well.

This all started a while back when my anti-virus software informed me it needed upgrading but the new version wasn't compatible with my existing OS. So I obtained and installed the XP upgrade and then installed the new version of my anti-virus. Less than a month later, my anti-virus needs updating again (sigh) and would you believe it, now requires XP SP2.

And that's where my nightmare seems to have started. Knowing my connection wasn't the fastest or most capable I though maybe the best route would be to order the cd and install. Yeah I know that goes against ever wanting to give Mr Gates and Co any more of my hard earned cash than necessary but I thought it worth the investment.

However at the end of this month Microsoft are making XP obsolete and moving it into it's support life, until 2014. As a result they seem to have "retired" the cd version of XP SP2 and for some reason the SP3 cd isn't available to customers in the UK or US, so that left me little choice.

Sorry, am I boring you..? Well I've got that off my chest, thanks for reading. Normal service will resume shortly.

No comments: