Friday 22 January 2021

Diamond Geezer!

Mum's all time favourite singer/song writer was Neil Diamond. I grew up in a house where his LP's (yes kids, those strange black things we had way before streaming) were probably played daily. He was her go-to artist for happy times and sad. 

I  have no idea how many times mum saw him live in concert, or sat engrossed watching The Jazz Singer on VHS (another throwback to times past LOL).

Needless to say over the years I came know a fair few of his hits as well as many of the not so well known tracks. They kind of stick with you and whenever I hear him it evokes all kinds of emotions. For the most part, memories of the great times. Although when I hear Jonathan Livingston Seagull, I can't help but think of her funeral.

It's incredible to realise he turns 80 on Sunday and is still recording great music. He certainly was a huge part of mum's life and I guess continues to be a big part of mine too. Happy birthday, Mr Diamond.




No comments: