Wednesday 16 December 2015

Lottery Win

No, not me.

There has been however good news for supporters of Reading Abbey. The Heritage Lottery Fund has made an award of £1.77m (approx US$2.66m, AU$3.70m) towards stabilising the ruins, so that the site of this once grand abbey may be opened to the public again. Reading Borough Council are also backing the scheme to the tune of about £1.38m and hope the ruins of the abbey, founded by Henry I, can open in about two years time.

Read more from the BBC here.

I had the good fortune last year to be able to enter the grounds and investigate parts of the structure not currently open to the public. Armed with my camera, it was a nice way to spend a Sunday morning.



A rare view of part of the Abbey structure.





I have also been reading that an attempt is to be made to locate the remains of King Henry I, supported by the team who found King Richard in a Leicester car park. Henry I is buried somewhere in his abbey in the town I am proud to call home.

No comments: