Friday, 31 July 2026

Two Hundredth

If ever there was proof items manufactured today do not last anywhere near as long as they used to, I have receipts.

I finally said goodbye today to my parents old upright freezer. For the past decade or so it had been running happily in my garage as a backup or additional space. This bad boy had been purchased from a store called Bejam, who were a frozen goods specialist, back in the mid 1980's. The branch in question (Woodley), according to Wikipedia, was the chains' 200th outlet. 

At the end of the 80's Bejam was purchased by rival Iceland and the Woodley branch is still trading from the same location, although now they only sell food.

It's possible the hot (for Britain) weather we've been enjoying all summer finally got to this freezer. However I think it's fair to say the family got its' money's worth from this item, despite quite a bit of food spoiling thanks to its sudden demise. I can confirm however this piece of chilly excellence weighed a ton to shift LOL.

No comments: